Cheddar-Curry Cheese Straws with Fresh Chives
This is a classic Southern cheese straw recipe with an delightful twist. The addition of curry powder and fresh chives gives it a wonderful taste.—Angela Spengler, Clovis, New Mexico
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely snipped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, stir together the
- flour, salt, and curry powder. Add butter and combine with fingers
- until it resembles a course meal. Add chives and cheeses. Work
- dough with fingertips until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll out
- 1/2 of dough on a lightly floured work surface until 1/4 of an inch
- thick. Cut strips 1/4 inch wide and 5 inches long. Place strips on
- large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Cool and transfer to
- plate. Repeat process with second half of dough. Serve warm.
To Make Ahead: Package baked cheese straws in an airtight container, separating layers with waxed paper and freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat at 350° for 5 minutes before serving.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a