Cheddar Corn Chowder
My children absolutely love this rich, zippy soup. They have just one complaint - it seems I never make a big enough batch to suit them!
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until
- tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and
- pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk; cook and stir until soup comes to a boil. Remove from the