Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 2. Add the potatoes, corn, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Add milk; cook and stir until soup comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 272 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Cheddar Corn Chowder
"I added chicken to the recipe. My kids were not thrilled when I told them what I was making but they asked for seconds after trying it."
"I added leftover chicken and it was delicious!"