Cheddar-Chili Bread Twists Recipe
Green chilies are prolific here in New Mexico, so I'm always looking for ways to cook with them. These twists are often requested by my family.
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat the buttermilk and cheese over low heat, stirring until cheese is melted (mixture will appear curdled). Cool to 110° to 115°. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk mixture, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, for topping, combine cheddar cheese and chilies; set aside.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spray one half with cooking spray. Top with cheese mixture and remaining dough.
- 4. Cut into twelve 1-1/2-in. strips. Cut each strip in half and twist. Place 1 in. apart on greased foil-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 350 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 373 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC