- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the buttermilk and cheese over low heat, stirring until cheese is melted (mixture will appear curdled). Cool to 110° to 115°. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk mixture, eggs, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, for topping, combine cheddar cheese and chilies; set aside.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spray one half with cooking spray. Top with cheese mixture and remaining dough.
- Cut into twelve 1-1/2-in. strips. Cut each strip in half and twist. Place 1 in. apart on greased foil-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cheddar-Chili Bread Twists in Country Woman January/February 2001, p29
Reviews for Cheddar-Chili Bread Twists(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review