Cheddar Chili Braid
Hot roll mix gives me a head start when making this savory bread. I usually make it with a big pot of chili and serve thick warm slices for "dunking".
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast
- packets; stir in the water, one egg, cheddar cheese and chilies.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead dough until smooth and elastic,
- about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide into thirds. Shape each into a 14-in. rope. Place ropes on a
- greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 222 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.