- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut butter in flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the water, mixing gently with a fork. Gather into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes.
- For filling, place broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables. Reduce heat; simmer 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk; stir into broth mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, chicken, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Spoon into a 10-in. (2-1/2 to 3-qt.) casserole. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll crust to fit top of casserole, trimming edges as necessary. Place on casserole over filling; seal edges. Make several slits in center of crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 425° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Chicken Potpie
"Absolutely Delicious!!! It was full of flavor. The entire family loved this."
"Easy to make, husband and kids enjoyed. Made the recipe just as written above."
"Delicious! Didn't change a thing, and it was great!"
"Everyone loved it. Added a bit more salt and some garlic."
"If there were six stars, I would give it that! Delicious and there were no left overs at all. I used a Rotisserie chicken and played with different veggies since we are not big fans of celery. Looking forward to making it again."
"My family really enjoyed this pot pie. Never had it witch cheese before but my family loves cheese so this looked great for the start. Good flavors."
"Love this one! I used mixed Veggies, a pre-made crust, and a Mexican blend of cheese, which is what I generally have in the house, but the result is stellar! Highly recommended for a cold day!"
"Delicious and full of veggies! I also added 1/2 bag of frozen peas. Will save this recipe for sure!"