Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
My husband and I live in the Dairy State of Wisconsin. So this soup is perfect, since we get to use our state's fantastic cheese and milk.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth
- Minced chives, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, mustard, paprika and salt; add to saucepan. Stir to make a smooth paste.
- 2. Gradually add milk and soup; cook and stir until thick, about 10 minutes. Add the cheese and chicken broth; stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 405 calories, 30 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 1,102 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC