Cheddar Cheese Potato Soup Recipe
Here's a recipe I created as an alternative to plain potato soup. Hearty and comforting, it disappears quickly when I serve it to my family on chilly evenings. Team it with bread and a salad, and you have a complete meal.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 387 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 985 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC