A sweet potato added to the usual Yukon golds gives these cheesy potatoes a slightly sweet flavor and nice rich color. No one will believe they’re lighter. —Connie Boll, Chilton, Wisconsin
- 3-3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Stir in the sour cream, thyme, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Cheddar Mashed Potatoes in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p34
Reviews for Cheddar Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2011
"These potatoes were very tasty. Thinking about even replacing my unhealthy twice baked potatoes with this recipe!"