Cheddar Cheese Batter Bread Recipe
As a dairy farmer, I like to promote our products. This cheesy, golden loaf—a proven winner at our state fair—tastes great fresh from the oven or cooled and sliced.—Jeanne Kemper, Bagdad, Kentucky
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cheeses, milk, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Stir dough down; transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine egg white and water. In another bowl, combine topping ingredients. Brush loaves with egg white mixture; sprinkle with topping. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 155 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC