Cauliflower is often last on the list of vegetables my family will eat, but they adore this creamy, savory soup with tender leeks and shredded cheddar cheese. Be sure to blend in batches and leave some space between the lid and the jar to allow steam to escape. —Kristin Rimkus, Snohomish, Washington
Featured In: 40 Super Satisfying Dinners for Lent
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese and minced fresh thyme, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in cauliflower, thyme, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add evaporated milk and cheese; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle each serving with additional cheese and thyme. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheddar Cauliflower Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p27
Reviews for Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review