Cheddar Cauliflower Quiche Recipe
A dear friend shared this recipe one year when we both had an abundance of cauliflower from our gardens. My husband and I enjoy this so much that I make it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! —Tracy Watson, Hobson, Montana
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold milk
- 4 cups chopped fresh cauliflower, cooked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Unwrap dough. On a floured surface; roll out to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place in pie plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- 3. Spoon cauliflower into crust; top with almonds. In a blender, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise, 1-1/4 cups cheese, nutmeg and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Pour over almonds; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 518 calories, 41 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC