Cheddar Casserole Bread
Whether served on a brunch buffet or alongside a bowl of soup, one wedge of Marillyn Miner's rugged round loaf won't be enough. The baker from Santa Margarita. California only needs a few items to create this savory sensation that keeps guests asking for more.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a
- small bowl, whisk the milk, mayonnaise and egg. Stir into dry just
- until moistened. Fold in cheese and onions. Spoon into a greased
- 9-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 377 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 505 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.