Cheddar Cabbage Casserole
Even those who don't generally care for cooked cabbage seem to like it this way.Mildred Fowler, Thomaston, Georgia
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling salted water
- for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Add 2 tablespoons
- butter; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt
- and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, place half of the
- cabbage. Pour half of the sauce over cabbage. Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes
- or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 246 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium,