Even those who don't generally care for cooked cabbage seem to like it this way.—Mildred Fowler, Thomaston, Georgia
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Add 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, place half of the cabbage. Pour half of the sauce over cabbage. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar Cabbage Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p45
Reviews for Cheddar Cabbage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review