Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
Every bite of these flaky biscuits get a little kick from cayenne pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. They're a nice accompaniment to soup and stew.
—Kimberley Nuttall, San Marco, California
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter. cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- cayenne. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add
- the cheese and toss. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll to
- 1 in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place
- 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15-18
- minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 261 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.