"I often serve my family these warm cheese biscuits with a hearty breakfast of bacon and eggs," shares Colleen Horudko of Warman, Saskatchewan. "They freeze well, too."
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in
- cheese and shortening until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir until just
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll out to
- 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an
- ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until
- golden brown. Yield: 16 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 118 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.