My family goes meatless several nights a week, and this recipe is one of our favorites. I usually puree a can or two of chipotles in adobo and freeze in ice cube trays so I can use a small amount when I need it. —Amy Bravo, Ames, Iowa
Recommended: 38 Make-Ahead Meals for Your Busy Family
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Additional pico de gallo and sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute chipotle pepper, garlic and seasonings 2 minutes. Stir in beans and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Coarsely mash bean mixture; stir in pico de gallo. Spoon onto tortillas; top with cheese and sour cream and roll up. If desired, serve with additional pico de gallo and sour cream.
Freeze option: Cool filling before making burritos. Individually wrap burritos in paper towels and foil; freeze in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, remove foil; place a paper towel-wrapped burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until heated through, 4-6 minutes, turning once. Let stand 2 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar Bean Burritos in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017
Reviews for Cheddar Bean Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review