Cheddar Batter Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional cornmeal
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, onion powder, salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in cornmeal and remaining flour. Stir in cheese (batter will be thick). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir dough down. Grease an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan and sprinkle with additional cornmeal. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 125 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Cheddar Batter Bread
"Needs sharp cheddar cheese; I can't taste any cheese using medium cheddar."