Cheddar Bacon Penne Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- 3. Drain pasta. Add pasta, bacon and onion mixture to the sauce; stir to coat. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 528 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein
Reviews for Cheddar Bacon Penne
"Enjoyed the taste and will be making it often."
"Loved! I used store bought real bacon bits. More tasty with cheese that you grate yourself. Just melts better."
"Very easy to make with a nice flavour. Different from the usual mac and cheese."
"I wish I would have read the reviews before I made this. I used sharp cheddar and gouda and we were all very disappointed in the taste...and this from a family that loves mac & cheese. I thought bacon made everything great?"
"Very rich and creamy!"
"This was good, but I found it to be a bit bland. Will likely make it again, but will add some herbs or spices. I like the suggestion of adding cayenne."
"This was really yummy! I added a little garlic salt and a little cayenne pepper and black pepper. Very "grown up mac" and cheese! My prep time took a bit longer, I hand grated the cheese and used a kitchen scale to get the amount right, If you don't buy it already grated, there are quite a few variables in weight vs cups. With a side salad and fruit it was a great meal!"
"good and hearty"
"This is fine"