Cheddar Bacon Penne Recipe
Sandra Bienz from Calgary, Alberta gave this satisfying classic extra flair by mixing in bacon crumbles and minced garlic.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- 3. Drain pasta. Add pasta, bacon and onion mixture to the sauce; stir to coat. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 528 calories, 29 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 712 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC