Sandra Bienz from Calgary, Alberta gave this satisfying classic extra flair by mixing in bacon crumbles and minced garlic.
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta, bacon and onion mixture to the sauce; stir to coat. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cheddar Bacon Penne in Cooking for 2 Winter 2007, p23
Reviews for Cheddar Bacon Penne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review