Cheddar-Almond Lettuce Salad Recipe
Sugared almonds and a honey-mustard dressing make this salad a real standout. In fact, I keep slivered almonds in my freezer just so I can whip it up for those spur-of-the-moment special occasions! For more nutrition, color or variety, I sometimes add broccoli and tomatoes. --Julia Musser, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- HONEY-MUSTARD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, combine almonds and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until nuts are coated and golden. Spread onto foil to cool. Divide romaine among salad plates; top with eggs and cheese.
- 2. In a blender, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, onion powder, celery seed, mustard, paprika and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle over salads; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 269 calories, 20 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC