- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, green pepper and onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Add broth, potatoes and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pot and heat through. Stir in parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar, Corn & Potato Chowder
"If one likes curry, then this is the chowder for you. While I like it, I don't want an abundance of it. I halved the amount and it was perfect (for me). This is the first chowder recipe that has to be pureed. I just did a flash puree so I could have chunks in the chowder."
"This is really quite good!"
"Hi creamers!Cheese is measured by weight, not volume. An 8 oz brick of cheese shredded will equal about 2 cups in volume."
"Just giving this two stars as I haven't tried it yet, but just have one comment. I've always had the impression that there are 8 ounces in one cup, and since this calls for 2 cups of cheese, should that not be 16 ounces, not 8?"
"An excellent chowder! I omitted the curry and used pesto instead. I didn't puree it, either. It's great as a chunky soup. This is a new favorite!"
"Delicious! This was very easy, and very tasty!"
"easy to prepare, tastes delicious, love the curry--who could ask for a better fall chowder. The chowder-heads in my family loved it. Thanks to Becky for a definite keeper."