- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, green pepper and onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Add broth, potatoes and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted; remove from heat. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pot and heat through. Stir in parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar, Corn & Potato Chowder
"This is really quite good!"
"Hi creamers!Cheese is measured by weight, not volume. An 8 oz brick of cheese shredded will equal about 2 cups in volume."
"Just giving this two stars as I haven't tried it yet, but just have one comment. I've always had the impression that there are 8 ounces in one cup, and since this calls for 2 cups of cheese, should that not be 16 ounces, not 8?"
"An excellent chowder! I omitted the curry and used pesto instead. I didn't puree it, either. It's great as a chunky soup. This is a new favorite!"
"This is amazing chowder! The first time I made this I did not have green pepper and had to use dry parsley. I also added leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I also did not puree the chowder. This was a big hit with my family and was gone in no time!"
"I am not a curry fan so only put half the amount of curry into the dish. Half the curry gave the soup the perfect zip without tasting of curry. I also didn't puree the soup (the family was too hungry to wait!) and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe!"
"Delicious! This was very easy, and very tasty!"
"Easy to prepare, tastes delicious, love the curry--who could ask for a better fall chowder. The chowder-heads in my family loved it. Thanks to Becky for a definite keeper."
"I left out the curry and it still was delicious. Definitely a "keeper"."