“I love serving this special five-ingredient dessert to company because it looks so impressive. Everyone always wants to know the secret to making it,” shares Erica Hunt of Gouverneur, New York.
- 3 cups cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 4 cups chocolate ice cream, softened
- In a large bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter; set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of an ungreased 10-in. springform pan.
- Drop 1-3/4 cups vanilla ice cream by tablespoonfuls around edge of pan; flatten and smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Drop 1 cup chocolate ice cream by tablespoonfuls next to the vanilla ring; flatten and smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Fill in center with 1/4 cup vanilla ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Drop 1-3/4 cups chocolate ice cream by tablespoonfuls over vanilla ice cream around edge of pan; smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Drop 1 cup vanilla ice cream by tablespoonfuls next to the chocolate ring; smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Fill in center with 1/4 cup chocolate ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Repeat pattern of first layer of ice cream. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Checkerboard Ice Cream Cake in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p52
Reviews for Checkerboard Ice Cream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review