Green tomato pie makes an awesome conversation piece. I took it to a potluck and it was a delight to share. —Charlotte McDaniel, Jacksonville, Alabama
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium green tomatoes (about 1-3/4 pounds), cored and cut into thin wedges
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients until blended. Add tomatoes; toss gently to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 35-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Charlotte's Green Tomato Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2015
Reviews for Charlotte's Green Tomato Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review