- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1. Place beans and enough water to cover in a 3-qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid.
- 2. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine water, onion, chilies, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin and oregano. Add roast and beans. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 6 hours longer or until pork is very tender.
- 3. Remove roast and shred with a fork. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid in a saucepan. Combine beans and meat; set aside. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid; bring to a boil. boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Add meat and bean mixture; heat through.
- 4. To serve, spoon meat mixture over corn chips; top with green onions, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and salsa. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 393 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Chalupa
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.