Ordinary sloppy joes get a lift from extra seasonings and picante sauce. Try serving them with refried beans and tortilla chips for a mouthwatering Mexican meal.—Nancy Means, Moline, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 Italian-style buns, split
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the picante sauce, soy sauce, oil, mustard, lemon-pepper,
- garlic powder, nutmeg and cardamom; simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove
- from the heat. Stir in cheese. Spoon onto buns and sprinkle with
- onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 437 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 1,037 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as