VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 quarts plus 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chai tea latte concentrate
- 1 medium orange, quartered, divided
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- For marinade, in a large bowl, combine 5 quarts water, chai tea mix and two orange wedges. Remove giblets from turkey; (discard or save for another use). Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add the turkey. Place in a roasting pan. Carefully pour marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place apple and remaining orange wedges in cavity. Rub oil over skin; season with salt and pepper. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Discard orange and apple slices.
- Add 1 cup water to the pan, scraping to loosen browned bits. Skim and discard fat; pour drippings into a small saucepan. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Chai Turkey in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p113
Reviews forChai Turkey
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review