Chai Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 1-1/2 teaspoons spice mixture. Gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and remaining spice mixture until smooth. Add enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pipe frosting over cupcakes; sprinkle with cinnamon. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 377 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (46g sugars, trace fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Chai Cupcakes
"Amazingly moist and so much chai flavor! I had no cake flour so I added two tablespoons of corn starch to my all purpose flour. Also skipped the added sprinkling of cinnamon on the frosted cupcakes - it was completely unnecessary. Do be careful to not overfill the cupcake liners though, as when the cupcakes rise too high they create a "mushroom-like" cap that can separate from the cupcake base when you remove them from the pan. In this scenario a little frosting will put the two parts back together, but it is best avoided from the start. I topped mine with a decorative mini-candy came (it is Christmas time after all) and some slivered pecans. These were a big hit with friends."
"Very moist and deliciously spicy. Frosting is a little too sweet for me. P. S. I tried to make these into mini cupcakes and it did not work out well. The cupcakes are so soft and sticky that I had a lot of trouble getting them out of the pans. I made a couple normal cupcakes with cupcake liners and it was WAY easier."
"This sounded so good but was so disappointing. The flavor just was not there and to add nuts and or, I don't see as helping so will not make again! I made the recipe as printed and did the cream cheese frosting."
"I was so amazed at how light and flavorful these are! The spices are just right. I also like allspice and add 1/2 t. of that spice. Great!"
"To cooker69, Chia seeds are not the same as Chai. The spices in the cupcakes are the same spices used to make Chai Tea. Tea is not one of the ingredients although maybe you could substitute some of the liquid with Chai Tea. These were very good. I love the combination of the cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves."
"where is the chia seeds or chia tea?"
"The taste was good, but I found I needed a fair bit more liquid. The 1st batch turned into scones. The 2nd batch turned out perfect after adding extra milk."
"I made these today and they were Fantastic!!!"
"These are amazing! I can't wait to make them again."
"Very good cupcakes. I love chai and these have great flavor. I used a cream cheese frosting and added a bit of cinnamon to that and it was superb."
"These are so moist and super delicious !"
"If you like chai you will loved these. I, took added pecans, They are so good."
"Are these cupcakes very moist or is it more on the drier side?"
"I also took the advice of adding nuts and white chocolate chips. They are addictively awesome!"
"I followed the batter and frosting directions exactly. However I wanted to make a cake instead of cupcakes so I put it all in one 9" round pan and baked it for about 40 minutes. It turned out perfectly, love the spice flavoring."
"Very tasty! Nice & different"
"I have made a similar recipe that includes the same ingredients plus some walnut pieces and white chocolate chunks. I also prefer the cream cheese frosting so added the chai spicess to the cream cheese. It is fabulous. Using this basic recipe and adding the above is a fabulous tasting cupcake!"