Celestial Cherry Conserve Recipe
"This recipe produces a rich, concentrated flavor that works perfectly on toast, ice cream or cheesecake. I have also had great results when substituting strawberries, blueberries, mango and complimentary herbal teas." Maureen Delves, Kamloops, BC
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Process: 5 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 2 medium oranges
- 6 cups fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 individual black cherry or wild berry herbal tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1. Grate zest from the oranges; set zest aside. Peel oranges and discard peel; chop the oranges. In a large saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, lemon juice and chopped oranges. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, place tea bags in a small bowl. Add boiling water. Cover and steep 5-6 minutes. Discard tea bags; add liquid to cherry mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3. Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into six hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 half-pints.
2 tablespoons equals 72 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC