Celestial Cherry Conserve Recipe
- 2 medium oranges
- 6 cups fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 individual black cherry or wild berry herbal tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1. Grate zest from the oranges; set zest aside. Peel oranges and discard peel; chop the oranges. In a large saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, lemon juice and chopped oranges. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Meanwhile, place tea bags in a small bowl. Add boiling water. Cover and steep 5-6 minutes. Discard tea bags; add liquid to cherry mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3. Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into six hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 half-pints.
2 tablespoon: 72 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 18g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Celestial Cherry Conserve
"I'm making this right now and just noticed the error in the recipe about the orange zest. My guess is that it goes in at some point between the part where you add the tea water but before the pectin. It would definitely go in before the pectin. That is what I did. A few other things:"
"It's a very tasty recipe, BUT..... The instructions do not specify what to do with the zest. Just says grate and set aside. Does not say when to put back in. As the oranges are peeled, I'm assuming the zest is going to be used in the recipe. Also have made this recipe twice and it will not gel. i end up with 7 pints, not six. The author is right that the taste is complex. The taste is so good that I'm willing to experiment more with it. I used fresh sweet cherries. The first time I used fresh lemon juice; the second time, bottle. Any advice?"