Celery Seed Potato Salad Recipe
From Branchville, New Jersey, field editor Grace Yaskovic shares this fresh-tasting potato salad seasoned with onion and celery seed. The mayonnaise dressing gets its sweetness from sugar and whipping cream, and its tang from mustard and sugar.
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potatoes. Place in a large bowl. Add the hard-cooked eggs, celery, onion, salt and celery seed; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and mustard. Stir in cream, egg and vinegar until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from the heat; let stand for 20 minutes. Whisk in mayonnaise and butter until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour over potato mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Celery Seed Potato Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC