I found this handwritten recipe in a cookbook I received from my mom. With onion and celery, these pleasing popovers taste a little like stuffing.
Barbara Carlucci, Orange Park, Florida
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/4 cup grated celery
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, onion salt and celery salt.
- Combine the eggs, milk, onion, celery and butter; whisk into the dry
- ingredients just until blended. Grease and flour the bottom and
- sides of 12 popover cups; fill two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not open
- oven door). Bake 25 minutes longer or until deep golden brown (do
- not underbake). Immediately cut a slit in the top of each popover to
- allow steam to escape. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 popover equals 137 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.