- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Shape each piece into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes parallel to each other on a greased baking sheet.
- Beginning from the right side, braid dough by placing the first rope over the second rope, under the third and over the fourth. Repeat three or four times, beginning each time from the right side. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over braid. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Celebration Braid
Sort By :
"This has become one of my go-to recipes. It's fantastic to make for a company meal - very pretty and impressive looking. I sometimes just make the dough into three braids rather than four, because I find that easier to work with. I also will sometimes sprinkle something on top like sesame or poppy seeds."
"This is a fantastic recipe. The texture is a little dense with great flavor. It is very easy to make as well. I actually forgot about it one time I made this recipe, and it became huge. I baked it and it came out very light and fluffy. I use it for any family gathering or casual dinner. I have also modified it and separated the dough into muffin tins. It makes about 24 dinner rolls - perfect consistency for butter."
"Followed the recipe. Wonderful. Very light tasty bread."
"I used 1/2 c. wheat flour and 3-1/2 cups bread flour. Turned out beautiful-made it for Ressurection Day dinner."