I learned to make Cazuela while we were living in Chile for a few months. We grow extra butternut squash in our garden just for this favorite recipe. Besides gardening, my retired husband and I also enjoy birdwatching, volunteer work and visiting our five children and six grandchildren.
- 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 6 small potatoes, peeled
- 6 pieces of fresh or frozen corn on the cob (2 inches each)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, place the chicken, squash, potatoes, corn, carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Serve over rice in a shallow soup bowl. Serve with hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and cilantro or parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each equals 0 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 0 carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC