Cavatini Pasta Recipe
"This recipe has been in my family as long as I can remember, and it is still a favorite. I love to make it when we have company; it's always a hit!"—Russ Palmer, Saranac, Michigan
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 envelopes spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup each uncooked elbow macaroni, bow tie pasta and medium pasta shells
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomato paste, mushrooms, pepperoni, sauce mix and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, for pasta, bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add macaroni and pastas. Return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until tender; drain. Stir into tomato sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish (dish will be full).
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 14 servings.
1 cup equals 377 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 903 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC