Cauliflower with Mushroom-Almond Sauce
The roots of Elinor Levine's recipe go back a generation. "It was the dish my mother always made for my Dad," she explains from her West Palm Beach, Florida home.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions with tops
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a saucepan containing 1 in. of water, steam whole cauliflower
- until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute mushrooms, almonds and onions in
- butter until mushrooms are tender. Dissolve bouillon in 3/4 cup
- water; add to skillet. Combine cornstarch with remaining water until
- smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until thickened and bubbly. Place cauliflower in a large bowl;
- top with sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.