"THIS WAS MOTHER'S favorite vegetable dish for Thanksgiving dinner because it was so showy. The huge head of cauliflower was presented whole, covered with cheese sauce. The green beans surrounding it gave the dish a bright, festive look."
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Cooked green beans, optional
- Trim leaves from cauliflower, leaving 1 in. of stem for support. Place in Dutch oven; add hot water that covers stem but does not touch head. Cover and steam until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; blend in flour and salt. Add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer. To serve, cut off stem and place cauliflower in a serving dish. Spoon the sauce over and sprinkle with cheese, almonds and paprika. Accompany with green beans if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cauliflower with Almonds in Reminisce November/December 1992, p47
Reviews for Cauliflower with Almonds
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review