Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
Sort By :
"I don't normally post reviews, but WOW! I did take what I thought was the best advice from the other reviewers, but must give 5 stars for the original recipe for getting me started. I doubled the carrots and celery, and used 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth. I also gave the cauliflower mixture a few shots with the immersion blender. After doing so, I added about 8 oz. of chopped cooked ham. I used red pepper flakes instead of hot sauce. I also cut down on the salt -- probably a bit less than 1/2 tsp. The final result was incredible. Kudos to the OP!"
"My very favorite soup! So good!"
"Amazing! Perfect comfort food and finally a soup without onion and garlic! (I am currently 6 months pregnant and have had an aversion to onions and garlic my entire pregnancy-trying to find canned soup or a homemade soup recipe without these ingredients is like searching for the Holy Grail.) I made a couple of modifications-I used my immersion blender to puree some of the soup to make it thicker and add a silkier texture. I also used crushed red pepper flakes to add some spice because franks hot sauce contains garlic powder. :)"
"Fantastic recipe! My family loved it."
"This soup is excellent! Everyone loved it, I also added some chopped onion because I had some handy from making another soup"