- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"Without a doubt one of the best soups I've made! I followed the directions and added a little extra cheese. Came out very good and didn't last long either!"
"I first made this a week ago without bouillon, which I didn't have. I chose this recipe after reading several others because of the nutritional values. Then I read a review about substituting chicken broth for the bouillon and water. I have type 2 diabetes sooo...low sodium chicken broth, low fat cheddar and milk, and it's a solid 5 star from ingredients that are usually in my kitchen. Thanks for posting, Debbie!Added after trying this a few times: Great base with almost endless possibilities! I've also done this as potato soup and chicken soup and still experimenting."
"Really tasty! Used celery salt instead of fresh celery (reduced reg salt some to accommodate). Added some onion powder."
"Very easy recipe and quite delicious! I did dice 1/2 of a small onion and omitted the cheese and the soup was still delicious. Thank you."
"Did not like this! I did deviate by putting cooked veg in blender. I wanted rich and silky but I got thick and grainy."