- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"Excellent soup, I highly recommend trying it."
"Easy recipe, with most ingredients already in the kitchen. Very good. Kids loved it, my toddler included! Suggest pairing it with salad and home made bread sticks for a meal OR a sandwich! Yum! Also, one more suggestion.... the recipe says to put it in a bowl, but I'd put it in a pan and bring it to a boil ;)"
"I used ham pieces in broth that I simmered from leftover baked ham bone, instead of a chicken base because I had it on hand. We like cauliflower and ham so I thought it would be good. It was."
"Since there are only 2 of us, I made a 1/2 batch - using about 3.5 cups of cauliflower. It made about 3 large dinner size bowls of soup. Excellent! My husband really liked it. Instead of hot sauce, I sprinkled on a Turmeric spice mixture. Yum, just the right amount of spice!"
"this soup is excellent! I did however , use no-sodium chicken bouillon , since we are watching sodium intake. It was great! Next time, I may use broccoli ."
"Very good basic recipe! I added some broccoli and a handful of green peas for color. Add or subtract - it's all good."
"Does anyone proofread these recipes? Direction 1 says to put ing. in a bowl then bring to a boil..."
"Good stuff, even people who are afraid to eat cauliflower will like this, if they have guts."
"Quick easy and good"
"Easy and yummy. My son and I really liked it, but it didn't win over my husband who doesn't care for cauliflower most of the time."