- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"OMGosh!!! Just made this recipe for the first time and it is to die for! I did as some other reviewers stated by adding in some onion, garlic, and red pepper. I didn't have any celery, so instead, used some dry celery flakes. I subbed 2 cups of Almond milk for the 2% (for those of us who are lactose intolerant) and added in some hot pepper flakes. This is a keeper for sure and will be trying it with broccoli next time. I think some bacon bits would be good in it as well. Thanks for a WONDERFUL recipe!!!"
"Not a fan. Too salty and the gravy overpowered the taste of the veggies. I wish I had found another cauliflower recipe. :("
"This will be my staple. Absolutely delicious. I live cauliflower soup. This is my favorite."
"Best soup ever! I added chopped onion, minced garlic and diced red bell pepper. SO GOOD!"
"Loved this so did my family. I didn't have any carrots so I grated parsnips. Also I added fresh grated and chopped ginger."