- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"Very easy recipe and quite delicious! I did dice 1/2 of a small onion and omitted the cheese and the soup was still delicious. Thank you."
"Did not like this! I did deviate by putting cooked veg in blender. I wanted rich and silky but I got thick and grainy."
"Very skeptical of veggie soups but WOW! Very delicious and full of flavor. I just diced the carrots and added a 1/4 cup diced onions too. Will be making again!!"
"Excellent soup, I highly recommend trying it."
"Easy recipe, with most ingredients already in the kitchen. Very good. Kids loved it, my toddler included! Suggest pairing it with salad and home made bread sticks for a meal OR a sandwich! Yum! Also, one more suggestion.... the recipe says to put it in a bowl, but I'd put it in a pan and bring it to a boil ;)"
"I used ham pieces in broth that I simmered from leftover baked ham bone, instead of a chicken base because I had it on hand. We like cauliflower and ham so I thought it would be good. It was."