- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"I love cauliflower soup and this will definitely be in my rotation. The second time I made it the only cheese I had on hand was a decent pepper jack so that's what I used, and it was even better!"
"Very good soup. Takes longer than 30 minutes - unless you already have the vegetables prepared. I used one 14 oz. can of reduced-sodium chicken broth vs. bouillon and ended up including 1 3/4 cups water with the broth (with only the broth plus 3/4 cup water, there wasn't enough liquid for the vegetables to cook in). I added 1 tsp. dried parsley, 1/4 tsp. onion powder and 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, but did not include the hot sauce. The head of cauliflower was about 1 1/2 lb. and about 6 cups of florets. The finished soup was just a little over 8 cups. Served with corn muffins, yummy!"
"I'm giving this 5-stars for taste! In my own recipe book, it's a 4-star recipe because I reserve 5 stars for recipes that I would serve to company and it's not quite fancy enough for that. But when it's a cold and rainy night, and you're home alone with your husband staying in, and you have a loaf of french bread that needs to be eaten, this is the perfect meal. I just used a spicy salt and pepper blend instead of hot sauce. We loved it."
"So easy to make and everyone loved it!"
"Excellent and easy to make."
"This was wonderful and easy to make. I added an onion and used sharp cheddar. Will make a little thicker next time as well."
"I changed it up a little. Added a jalapeno, substituted a half teaspoon xanthium gum for the flour and unflavored almond milk for the milk. Sooo good."
"Very easy to make and filling! Used sharp cheese and turned out delicious!"
"Amazing soup! All 4 kids loved it also. Followed recipe exact. Used sharp cheese and thickened it a little at the end! Will make again!"