- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Soup
"Excellent and easy to make."
"This was wonderful and easy to make. I added an onion and used sharp cheddar. Will make a little thicker next time as well."
"I changed it up a little. Added a jalapeno, substituted a half teaspoon xanthium gum for the flour and unflavored almond milk for the milk. Sooo good."
"Very easy to make and filling! Used sharp cheese and turned out delicious!"
"Amazing soup! All 4 kids loved it also. Followed recipe exact. Used sharp cheese and thickened it a little at the end! Will make again!"
"LOVED IT! I don't normally like cheese in my soup, but the cheese compliments this soup perfectly, and I loved the addition of the celery. I added two small onions. Next time I will saute the vegetables in the butter first, then make the roux. I used 4 T butter and flour and only 2 cups bouillon (low-sodium)."
"Made this soup and it is delicious."
"I made this and it is delicious. I didn't have cheddar but I had marble which is close enough. I also added onion to celery and carrots while cooking. Will make this recipe again."
"I made this soup and thought it was delicious! Added broccoli for a bit more color. Will save this recipe to enjoy again!"