A homemade white sauce seasoned with Swiss cheese and garlic salt adds great flavor to this speedy vegetable bake.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 cups cauliflowerets
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 whole ripe olives
- 1 baby carrot
- In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower in a small amount of water for
- 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. In a medium saucepan,
- saute onion in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended;
- gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add salt, garlic
- salt and pepper. Place half of the cauliflower in a greased
- 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; top with half of the sauce. Repeat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Add
- olives for eyes and mouth and a carrot for the nose. Yield: 6-8