Cauliflower Puree with Onions
This cauliflower dish from Becky Oliver of Fairplay, Colorado is creamy, tasty and has the appearance and texture of mashed potatoes. The onions on top are a really nice, sweet addition that contrasts well with the mildness of cauliflower.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place cauliflower and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook
- on high for 6 minutes; stir. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until
- tender. Cool slightly. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons cooking
- Place the cauliflower, reserved liquid, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, salt and
- pepper in a food processor or blender; cover and process until
- blended. Keep warm.
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion
- over medium-high heat in remaining oil for 6 minutes. Stir in the
- sugar; cook 7-10 minutes longer or until onion is tender and lightly
- browned. Serve with cauliflower puree. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup cauliflower with 2 tablespoons onions equals 111 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,