Cauliflower Parmesan Casserole Recipe
- 3 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Place 1 in. of water in a Dutch oven; add cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- 3. Place cauliflower in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over top.
- 4. For topping, combine the bread crumbs, butter and paprika. Sprinkle over sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 142 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.