Cauliflower Ham Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups chopped fresh cauliflower
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Place cauliflower in a large saucepan; cover with 1 in. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and sour cream until melted.
- 3. Drain cauliflower. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, ham and mushrooms. Add cheese sauce and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- 4. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 383 calories, 25 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 1,007 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Cauliflower Ham Casserole
"I'm not a big cauliflower fan, but I thought I might enjoy it in this dish. I think it's a good recipe, but I probably won't make it again. I may try it using potatoes, since the cheese sauce was tasty and the recipe had a good balance of ingredients. I did use reduced fat sharp cheddar, light sour cream and fat free milk, and no one noticed. I also had to sub panko breadcrumbs, and we liked the topping. Since some people commented about it being watery, I returned the cauliflower back to the pot, after draining, to "dry" them for a minute or so, while stirring over medium-low heat."
"My family and I loved it! Will surely make it again. Being A cheese lover, I added a little Velveeta and used French fried onion rings on top in place of bread crumbs."
"This was really good! Mine was a bit watery also as mentioned before but still yummy."
"This is a good recipe if you're trying to cut back on your carbs since most ham casserole recipes contain potatoes. I sauteed finely chopped onions and red pepper in the butter for extra flavor and left out the canned mushrooms. This does NOT reheat well since the leftovers become watery."
"Excellent recipe! The only change I made was to leave out the mushrooms. I noticed it was somewhat watery, but since no one else mentioned this problem, I must have either not drained the cauliflower enough or didn't let it rest before eating. I served this with a Greek salad and asiago cheese dinner rolls."
"This would be a lovely dish to serve for Easter. Have made it a couple times, and will continue, but seemingly forgot about it."
"Definately a keeper. I added a 1/2 tsp Bavarian seasoning (by Penzeys with crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaves & sage) to heighten the flavor. We loved it."
"I get requests for this recipe all the time. Even a friend of mine who swears she hates cauliflower goes back for seconds. I use fresh mushrooms and saute it in a little olive oil and butter instead of canned for better flavor. I add salt and pepper as it is not even listed in the ingredients. The salt content comes from the ham mostly so I'm surprised to read the reviews of others. My mom is on a salt restricted diet and even she gobbles this casserole up. This is a favorite of my house and I will continue making it for years to come!"
"Nice and creamy. Bread crumb topping gave it a nice crunch."
"This is a good recipe if you need to use ham leftovers. I read a review saying it was too salty but I disagreed. I think it could have used a little in the sauce. I will make again."
"This is delicious! I was very happy with the results, it is fast & easy to assemble and makes a great meal served with a fruit salad."
"I would make it again because my husband adored it, and it was an easy way to get vegetables into my boys! It was good, but not fabulous. Considering leaving the ham out and making it as a side dish, I think it would be much better then!"
"This is so good. My husband loves it."
"to much fat, to much salt-way to much"
"Excellent! I fix this dish all the time, now."
"Suprisingly delicious! The cauliflower is a great substitute for potatoes."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer