Cauliflower Ham Casserole Recipe
Cauliflower replaces the potatoes in this comforting casserole, which I’ve been making for 30 years. Whenever we have leftover ham, my husband asks me to make this dish. —Sue Herlund, White Bear Lake, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 4 cups chopped fresh cauliflower
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Place cauliflower in a large saucepan; cover with 1 in. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese and sour cream until melted.
- 3. Drain cauliflower. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, ham and mushrooms. Add cheese sauce and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- 4. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 383 calories, 25 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 1,007 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC