- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
Sort By :
"This is an easy recipe which provides a fantastic soup. My daughter in law does not like to try different vegetable recipes. She tried this and absolutely loved it. I may cut back on the onion a bit though. This is a great soup for type 1 diabetics to have for lunch."
"I cut recipe in 1/2 and used 1/2 broccoli and 1/2 cauliflower. I mixed in some mashed potatoes and gouda and smoked gouda cheeses. Delicious!"
"We liked it but it seems to be lacking something. Perhaps I will master it in the future."
"This is very nummy! I didn't have cayenne and omitted the curry. Did cinnamon in place like someone else suggested. And melted down a sharp cheddar cheese spread instead of shredded cheese (doing all the same steps with the flower, butter and milk). So easy to make!"
"I did not expect my result to be as delicious as it is. While I knew the recipe was fine, I was low on milk and did not expect it to turn out fabulously. I made one change: no curry. I was so amazed at how delicious this soup is. My husband is not home for dinner tonight and I wanted something easy and delicious to use my leftover cauliflower and this is a keeper. Thanks"