Cauliflower Cheddar Soup Recipe
When I created this soup at the last minute for an impromptu ice skating party, it was a hit. This is a good solid meal in and of itself. Just serve it with a crusty loaf of bread and you'll be warm inside and out.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 220 calories, 14 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 912 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC