Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
When I created this soup at the last minute for an impromptu ice skating party, it was a hit. This is a good solid meal in and of itself. Just serve it with a crusty loaf of bread and you'll be warm inside and out.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and
- bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are
- tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour
- until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook
- and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add
- cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly
- for 30 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 220 calories, 14 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 912 mg sodium,