- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
"Made this but pur?ed the califlower, onions and broth before adding cheese mixture. Fantastic!"
"I made it as shown except for the parsley flakes which I couldn't find in my cupboard. It turned out very well, I will make again."
"I made it with fresh home grown cauliflower and it was amazing. It had such a wonderful flavor."
"Just made this soup and found it to be one of the best soups I have ever had! I only thing I left out was the curry only because I don't like it. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious! My friends love it too! Thank you so much for sharing!"
"Next time I make it I'm going to halve the nutmeg"
"Outstanding and filling soup! My kids request this often!"
"This is an easy recipe which provides a fantastic soup. My daughter in law does not like to try different vegetable recipes. She tried this and absolutely loved it. I may cut back on the onion a bit though. This is a great soup for type 1 diabetics to have for lunch."
"I cut recipe in 1/2 and used 1/2 broccoli and 1/2 cauliflower. I mixed in some mashed potatoes and gouda and smoked gouda cheeses. Delicious!"
"We liked it but it seems to be lacking something. Perhaps I will master it in the future."
"This is very nummy! I didn't have cayenne and omitted the curry. Did cinnamon in place like someone else suggested. And melted down a sharp cheddar cheese spread instead of shredded cheese (doing all the same steps with the flower, butter and milk). So easy to make!"