- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
Sort By :
"Outstanding and filling soup! My kids request this often!"
"This is an easy recipe which provides a fantastic soup. My daughter in law does not like to try different vegetable recipes. She tried this and absolutely loved it. I may cut back on the onion a bit though. This is a great soup for type 1 diabetics to have for lunch."
"I cut recipe in 1/2 and used 1/2 broccoli and 1/2 cauliflower. I mixed in some mashed potatoes and gouda and smoked gouda cheeses. Delicious!"
"We liked it but it seems to be lacking something. Perhaps I will master it in the future."
"This is very nummy! I didn't have cayenne and omitted the curry. Did cinnamon in place like someone else suggested. And melted down a sharp cheddar cheese spread instead of shredded cheese (doing all the same steps with the flower, butter and milk). So easy to make!"