- 3 green onions
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 Styrofoam cone (9 inches x 4 inches)
- 1 to 2 medium parsnips
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 Styrofoam egg (about 4 inches)
- 2 frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- MAKING GREEN ONION FLOWERS: Cut the root end from green onions, reserving one root end and discarding the other two. Cut a 2-1/2-in. piece from the white portion of each onion; discard the remaining portion of onion. Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut onions lengthwise into thin strips to within 1/2-in. of one end. Fill a large bowl with ice water; add onions and refrigerate until curled.
- MAKING CARROT HAIR AND FLOWERS: Peel the carrots. Set one aside for flowers. Trim ends from remaining carrots. Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut carrots into very thin lengthwise strips. Roll into curls; secure with toothpicks. Place in ice water for 30 minutes.
- Use reserved carrot to make three flowers. Hold a tender medium carrot with the tip pointed down. Using a small sharp knife, make a rounded cut at an angle toward the tip of the carrot, forming a petal. Do not slice all the way through. Rotate the carrot a quarter turn and make another petal. Repeat two more times. Twist carrot to snap off flower.
- MAKING BOUQUET: Break a toothpick in half; attach to a carrot flower. Attach flower about 3-1/2 in. down from the peak of the cone. Repeat with the remaining carrot flowers and green onion flowers.
- MAKING BODY: Use toothpicks to attach vegetables to each other and to cone. For arms, peel the parsnips. From the stem end, cut two 1-1/4-in. pieces and two 3/4-in. pieces. Set aside remaining parsnip. Attach one longer piece to a shorter one to form an arm as shown in photo. Repeat with remaining two pieces; attach to the cone for arms. Cover cone with caulifloweretes to form dress.
- MAKING HEAD: Attach Styrofoam egg to top of cone using two toothpicks. Attach peas for eyes. Cut reserved onion root end in half; attach above peas for eyebrows. Trim a piece of parsnip for nose. Cut red pepper to form lips.
- Carefully remove toothpicks from carrot curls. Attach to head with toothpicks to form the hair. Attach tulle for veil. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 centerpiece.
Originally published as Cauliflower Bride in Country Woman May/June 2003, p24
Reviews for Cauliflower Bride
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2014
"This was the best table display for my friends wedding shower!"