Cauliflower Bride Recipe
This bridal beauty will catch everyone's attention! "She's fun to make," says Sue Bowler of Simi Valley, California. "I used her as a centerpiece at a shower, and the guests loved her."
- 3 green onions
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 Styrofoam cone (9 inches x 4 inches)
- 1 to 2 medium parsnips
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 Styrofoam egg (about 4 inches)
- 2 frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- MAKING GREEN ONION FLOWERS: Cut the root end from green onions, reserving one root end and discarding the other two. Cut a 2-1/2-in. piece from the white portion of each onion; discard the remaining portion of onion. Using a sharp knife or scissors, cut onions lengthwise into thin strips to within 1/2-in. of one end. Fill a large bowl with ice water; add onions and refrigerate until curled.
- MAKING CARROT HAIR AND FLOWERS: Peel the carrots. Set one aside for flowers. Trim ends from remaining carrots. Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut carrots into very thin lengthwise strips. Roll into curls; secure with toothpicks. Place in ice water for 30 minutes.
- Use reserved carrot to make three flowers. Hold a tender medium carrot with the tip pointed down. Using a small sharp knife, make a rounded cut at an angle toward the tip of the carrot, forming a petal. Do not slice all the way through. Rotate the carrot a quarter turn and make another petal. Repeat two more times. Twist carrot to snap off flower.
- MAKING BOUQUET: Break a toothpick in half; attach to a carrot flower. Attach flower about 3-1/2 in. down from the peak of the cone. Repeat with the remaining carrot flowers and green onion flowers.
- MAKING BODY: Use toothpicks to attach vegetables to each other and to cone. For arms, peel the parsnips. From the stem end, cut two 1-1/4-in. pieces and two 3/4-in. pieces. Set aside remaining parsnip. Attach one longer piece to a shorter one to form an arm as shown in photo. Repeat with remaining two pieces; attach to the cone for arms. Cover cone with caulifloweretes to form dress.
- MAKING HEAD: Attach Styrofoam egg to top of cone using two toothpicks. Attach peas for eyes. Cut reserved onion root end in half; attach above peas for eyebrows. Trim a piece of parsnip for nose. Cut red pepper to form lips.
- Carefully remove toothpicks from carrot curls. Attach to head with toothpicks to form the hair. Attach tulle for veil. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 centerpiece.
Originally published as Cauliflower Bride in Country Woman May/June 2003, p24
Reviews for Cauliflower Bride(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review